Thin Apple Tart
- 2 tablespoons (20gr) slivered almonds
- 1/2 (60gr) cup powdered sugar, unsifted, divided
- 1/2 stick (57gr) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup (90gr) Jeanne’s gluten free all-purpose flour mix
- 1 egg yolk
Ingredients for Apple Compote:
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 medium Golden Delicious apples
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup (60 to 80ml) water
Ingredients for Apple Topping:
- 2 tablespoons (15gr) granulated sugar
- zest of half a lemon
- 2-3 medium apples
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- For Crust: Place almonds and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar in a food processor. Pulse until the nuts are finely ground.
- In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter, ground nuts and salt on medium speed until well-combined. Slowly add remaining powdered sugar and flour and mix well.
- Add the egg yolk and mix until incorporated.
- Shape dough into a ball and flatten into a disc. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours or overnight.
- Place the dough in between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper and roll it out to about 1/4-inch thick round.
- Place in a 9-inch tart pan, trim the edges. Prick the dough with a fork and refrigerate 30 minutes up to 2 hours. (you can even freeze the dough in the tart pan at this point and let thaw in the fridge overnight when you are ready).
- In the meantime, prepare the applesauce.
- For compote: On a flat surface, cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise without cutting all the way through and scrape the seeds from the pods with a pairing knife. Place them in a large saucepan along with the sugar. Set aside.
- Core and roughly chop the apples. Add them to the vanilla and sugar mixture along with the water.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Turn the heat down, cover and let the apples stew for about 1 hour.
- Check every 20 minutes to and add water to the mixture if the liquid evaporates faster than the apples can cook.
- Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Scoop about 1 1/2 cups applesauce inside the prepared tart pan.
- For Topping: Preheat oven to 350F and position a rack in the middle.
- In a small bowl, rub together the sugar and lemon zest so that the citrus natural oils can flavor the sugar.
- Core and thinly slice the apples. Decoratively arrange the slices over the compote and sprinkle evenly with the sugar. Scatter the butter over the tart shell.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top apples are golden brown.